You may wish to display different content depending on the recipient. This would normally involve creating multiple copies of your content, which can be time consuming. In Horizon you can create variable content, allowing you to create alternative options for your content all in one place.
Setting up the groups
Before you begin creating your variable content, you’ll need to create the groups you wish to target. For instance, you may have various fashion items you can offer. However, you want to offer each item, depending on the persona. 'Trendy Tom' may be willing to buy higher priced trendy items. However, 'Budget Hunters' would prefer to see the latest discounts or sale items. Therefore, you’d need to create a group to identify each of your personas. Create a rule group for each persona. Like so:
Creating variable content
- Create your content as usual. Select the custom block you wish to convert to variable content.
- Click the variable button in the editor toolbar. Above your content, you’ll see a drop-down list appear.
The drop-down list allows you to switch between the variable content targets. The ‘Default’ option is what contacts will see if they do not belong to any group. For anyone that doesn't have a persona, you could create a basic list of offers, such as latest discounts and new items. You then need to create the variable content for each of the personas groups.
- Click to the right of the 'Default' drop-down list.
- In the ‘Update content rules’ box, click
- Give your variable content a name and select the group by clicking
- Click and close the window.
When you return to your content, your new variable content will be selected and no content will appear underneath it. Create the content you wish to show for members of that group. You can alternate between the variable content by selecting the name from the drop-down list. You can also add more groups.